The Botanical Gardens were probably opened on the 13th August 1877. An article in the Wrexham Guardian, on August 4th of that year, described the enterprise of Mr R.D.Roberts (Mwrog) – “Mr Roberts purposes opening these beautiful grounds on the 13th inst. to the public”.
The North Wales Express reported, on 13th September 1878, that there was to be a public auction of Mr R.D. Roberts’ property at the Royal Hotel. However, it stated that the sale of the Botanical Gardens was withdrawn as only £1,850 was offered for it (see references below).
It was acquired by Rhyl Urban District Council in the 1920’s.
Here are some lovely photographs of the Botanical Gardens, the first two are from the late 1920’s/ early 1930’s.
For a comprehensive history of the Botanical Gardens there is a very interesting article “The changing fortunes of Rhyl Botanical Gardens” by Glynis Shaw, to read it click here
In 2003 Denbighshire County Council planned to demolish the cafe and build a new Register Office and car park. Rhyl South West Central Association was formed and they campaigned tirelessly, securing 5,ooo signatures in a petition, to save the Gardens for the people of Rhyl – which they did. There is now also a community centre within the Botanical Gardens which runs classes and groups such as art, craft, family history, tai chi, computing etc. The Association received the 2008 Queen’s Award for Voluntary Service for the reinstatement of the Gardens – for this the community at large owes them an enormous debt and a great big thank you.
To read more about the Botanical Gardens and the work of the Rhyl South West Central Residents Association click here.
they also have a facebook page, to view, click here.
Here is how the Botanical Gardens look today: