Rhyl Urban District Council came into being in 1894/5 and lasted for eighty years until 1974. A Commemorative Dinner was held at the Westminster Hotel on Saturday, March 30th, 1974, to mark its dissolution. The menu at the dinner consisted of chilled melon boats, cream of chicken soup, goujons of plaice, contrefilet of Scotch Beef Beaujolais and peach melba – the wines served were Sauternes and Burgundy.
Included in the programme was a selection of landmarks in Rhyl’s Civic History:
also a list of its “Chairmen” from 1895-1974
click on images to enlarge
Prior to the formation of RUDC in 1894, the town was cared for by the commissioners. In her book “The Commissioners of Rhyl – the men who built the town”, Marjorie Howe says “The result of a ‘Local Government Act of 1852’ was the formation of a Board of Commissioners which should be responsible for the maintenance and improvement of Rhyl, and the well-being of its citizens”. Also, “In November 1894, the Improvement Commissioner’s Board held its last meeting, and when the local authority met for their monthly meeting in December, it was under the new name of ‘Rhyl Urban District Council’.
1974 saw the formation of Rhyl Town Council – click here for their website
There is a huge scarcity of women in the lists and photograph in the programme – thankfully women have come a long way in the last 40-50 years.
Rhyl History Club are proud to report that one of our long term members, Shirley Williams, has recently been made an Honorary Freewoman of the town. Shirley is only the third person to receive the prestigious award, and is the first woman. The award has previously been given to the late Roy Turner and Peter Robinson
Shirley has a very impressive list of community activities over the years, including involvement with Rhyl Youth Club, Rhyl and District Rounders League, Rhyl and District Operatic Society and the Nancy Clarke School of Dance. Shirley has fulfilled many and various volunteer roles, too many to mention, including thirty years for the Glan Clwyd Branch of the British Heart Foundation (she is now their Vice Chair) and “front of house” at Rhyl Pavilion Theatre. She was a founder member of Clwyd Coast Credit Union. In 2017 Shirley attended HM the Queen’s Garden Party after being nominated for her long standing charitable work by Rhyl County Court, where she still works as a Court Usher.
Rhyl History Club sends Shirley many congratulations on this thoroughly deserved award.
It’s that time of year again – our new season starts this coming Monday, September 10th. We meet at Rhyl Community Fire Station on the Coast Road. The programme, which has been amended slightly since its first publication, is shown below. All welcome, for further details see our “About us” page.
Tobacco has been around in the U.K since the sixteenth century. Cigars were the most popular method of smoking in the 1700’s and this evolved into the cigarette by the early/mid 1800’s. Sir Richard Doll made history in the 1950’s by establishing beyond doubt that smoking caused lung cancer. However, health risks were known long before this – the Children’s Act of 1908 banned the sale of cigarettes to children under 16 and the following article is from the Rhyl Record and Advertiser of 1909:
“Cigarette smoking is injurious in many ways. In the first place the smoke breathed into the lungs forms a fine coating over their delicate surfaces and prevents not only the intake of oxygen but the escape of the body’s poisonous gases. This means retention of these poisons and that is the most common cause of disease. Retained poison in the blood means that the brain and nerves are starved and poisoned and this condition is, of course an absolute bar to clear and consecutive thinking. The will power suffers most of all.”
Unfortunately, progress was halted when cigarettes were included in army rations during World War One which hooked a generation of men. By 1949 81% of men and 39% of women in the U.K were smokers. The Office for National Statistics UK reports that in 2016 15.8% of the U.K.’s population smoked (17.7% of men and 14.1% of women).
Rhyl History Club member Maggi Blythin has found this fascinating advertisement and local information:
“In the late 1800’s smoking wasn’t seen as a health hazard and around this time automated cigarette making machines came into being. Simon Eisiski lived in Rhyl during the later part of the 1800s and early 1900s. He was a Russian Jew born in 1868. He married a Jewish girl, Bertha Goldstein from Manchester in 1898, and by 1901 they were living at 76 Wellington Road with a 1 year old daughter. Simon s occupation was given as Tobacconist and, as shown above, he advertised ‘Celebrated Cigarettes’.
Eisiski became a naturalised British subject in 1904. He died in 1908
The photograph below shows Queen Street at around the time that Simon Eisiski had his shop at 30a.”
Rhyl History Club member Maggi Blythin has shared photographs and information about E.B. Jones’s with us – do you remember any of the shops?
E B Jones were a chain of grocery shops in North Wales.They had branches in many towns and the Head Office was in Water Street in Rhyl. This is taken from a letterhead from 1921.
These are some of the oldest photos showing the shops in Rhyl, Ruthin and Colwyn Bay.
This shows the RhylHigh Street branch, above which was the Arundale Café which was also owned by EBs:
These are some of the staff who worked in the Head Office in the late 40s and early 50s.
When the bigger supermarkets started to take over E B Jones started to close their shops and finally the Head Office in the 60s.
One shop in Deiniolen retained it s name and is now a coffee shop
Thank you Maggi.
We have received an enquiry from a Mr Evans via History Points. He has come across a solid silver gilt key, which reads:
“MORFA BACH CHAPEL RHYL 1st OCT 1965” on one side and “PRESENTED BY REEMA (CHESTERFIELD) Ltd.” on the other.
Does anyone know the story attached to this? What event did it mark? We would love to find out. Please leave a comment below if you can help.
A few years ago Rhyl History Club member Beryl Worthington allowed us to publish her memories of Morfa Bach Chapel, to read them again click here.