Saturday, June 6th, 1908 dawned bright and breezy. The Journal described it as a red letter day in the history of Rhyl. Crowds gathered, the “gates were besieged” and there was “congestion at the turnstile”. It was the day of the opening of the Rhyl Promenade Gardens, or Marine Gardens, and there was a carnival atmosphere.
The grounds formed part of the Promenade pavilion gardens scheme, and included lawns, flower beds, shelters, tea rooms and there was turf laid for tennis, bowls and croquet. The gardens lay on the eastern side of the soon to be opened Pavilion. Mr G.A. Taverner, Chairman of the Council performed the opening ceremony from the magnificent, Edwardian bandstand. He also called upon Councillor Mr J.H. Ellis, who was known as “the father of the Pavilion and Gardens scheme”, to speak.
De Jong’s band played “God save the King” and the gardens were “open”!
This all happened in the morning and the musical performance took place between 11-1. There was an afternoon performance 3.15-4.45, and also an evening performance, 7.30-9.30. The paper reported “When illuminated at night the gardens became ‘Rhyl’s fairyland’ and the attendance was again very large”.
The Pavilion itself opened on July 30th, 1908 – but that is for another time.
There have been other bandstands in Rhyl over the years. The next photograph shows an art deco bandstand in similar location.