On May 24th 1895, 120 years ago exactly, the first water was let into the newly constructed Marine Lake. It also happened to be Queen Victoria’s birthday. To mark the occasion a telegram was sent to the Queen which read “The Rhyl Urban District Council desire most loyally to convey their heartfelt congratulations to their Gracious Majesty on her birthday, which they have made the occasion for turning water into their new Marine Lake in honour of her Majesty.”
The first water was let in during the morning from the railway bridge culvert. In the evening Dr. Girdlestone J.P. and Mr. Abel Jones, vice chairman of the Council, turned the three valves at the Foryd Bridge culvert.
On July 6th a regatta, aquatic fete and gala were was held and was described in the press as one of the most successful days in the Rhyl’s history.
The salt water lake, which covers 40 acres and is 4′ deep, was constructed on land which used to flood at high tide and at ebb was left a muddy bog . The land was bought from the Commissioners of Woods and Forests for the sum of £1,050. From the design of Mr Baldwin Latham the lake, island and surrounding ornamental grounds cost a further £10,200. Contractor George Law of Kidderminster completed the work within six months, the memorial stone having been laid on December 14th, 1894.
The lake was used for sailing, rowing and yachting and became home to Rhyl Swimming Club in 1896, to read more click here
The Rhyl Amusement Co. Ltd. took over the Marine Lake in 1910 and developed fairground rides on part of the site. In March 1910 the Rhyl Journal reported that the new lessees were engaged in preparations for an ambitious scheme of amusements for popularising the lake, one of the first ventures being the erection of a water chute. Other attractions being prepared were for the illumination of the lake and grounds at night by means of electric arc lamps and other devices. The water chute venture ended in tragedy when Alfred Nightingale, a young man from Bala, fell to his death from the chute in 1914. To read more on this click here
The miniature railway, which is still running today, was opened in 1911. For details click here
Today the lake is used for sailing, canoeing, waterskiing, wakeboarding, kneeboarding, and barefooting! The following clubs operate from the lake: Cadence Tri (Triathalon team), Ocean Beach Water Ski Club, Rhyl Miniature Railway, Rhyl Sea Cadets, Rhyl Yacht club and Vale of Clwyd Scouts.
historypoints on the Marine Lake
historypoints on Rhyl Miniature Railway