We have of course looked in detail at the Vale of Clwyd railway before, see
The Vale of Clwyd Railway was a 4′ 8½” line which connected the towns of Rhyl and Denbigh via St. Asaph. At Rhyl the line connected with the North Wales Coast line. At Denbigh the line connected with the Denbigh, Ruthin and Corwen Railway and the Denbigh and Mold Junction Railway. An extension of the line terminated at Foryd Pier. The line was closed to passengers in 1955 and completely by 1962.
Above is a timetable from 1883 which featured in The Rhyl Record and Visitor. There were twelve stops between Rhyl and Corwen and there were two trains in the morning, two in the afternoon. Journey times were approximately 1 hour 50 minutes. Trains to Denbigh were more frequent, two in the morning and four in the afternoon/evening, with an approximate journey time of 35 minutes – not much longer than it would take us to drive there today, 131 years on. The Vale of Clwyd was sometimes referred to as “The Eden of North Wales” and it must have been wonderful to have travelled its length by steam train.
To travel along the line via interesting photographs of all the stations, click on the link below: