Plas Penyddeuglawdd was built as a farmhouse and is one of the few buildings that predate the expansion of Rhyl as a resort. It stands on busy Pendyffryn Road and it is hard to imagine that it once stood in open countryside. It is a multi period building, with the original farmhouse possibly dating from the 17th Century.
In the 1780’s Plas Penyddeuglawdd was the home of Mr and Mrs Robert Owen. They were Methodists and were members of a Seiat (Society) in Rhuddlan. They then set up a Seiat at their home, Penyddeuglawdd, it being more convenient for themselves and others who lived some way away from Rhuddlan. When they moved to Cwybr Bach farm, the Seiat was transferred to Edward Jones’s home at nearby Terfyn. Ultimately, “Bethel” on Vale Road became the meeting house or chapel for the Methodists, opening in 1826.
Plas Penyddeuglawdd appears in an advertisement in May 1799, in the Chester Courant:
TO BE SOLD BY AUCTION
“At the Crofs-keys*, in Newmarket, in the county of Flint, on Saturday, the fifth day of June next, between the hours of three and four o’clock in the afternoon, unlefs difpofed of in the mean time by private contract, of which notice will be
A Defirable TENEMENT, called Pen-y-Ddauglawdd, with 51a, 2r, 31p ** more or lefs, of choice land, in the county of Flint, now in the occupation of William Williams, as tenant from year to year.
There is a warren well ftocked, adjoining part of the land, and the proprietor has a limited right to the rabbits, which are of no small value, and fuch right is intended to be difpofed of, as an appurtenant to the farm, which lies convenient for improvement, being a fhort diftance from lime, 1.5 miles from the port of Vorryd, 2 miles from Ruthland, and 10 miles from Holywell.
A valuable right of common is attached to this tenement, and the buildings are convenient and in repair.
The tenant will fhew the premifes, which are freehold of inheritance; and further particulars may be had, and a map feen at the office of Mr. Oldfield, attorney, Farm, near Abergele, who is authorized to treat the fale thereof by private contract.”
* in the above transcription a long “s” was used, which confusingly looks like an “f”. The long “s” originated at a very early date in cursive Roman Scripts. It fell out of use in professional printing well before the middle of the 19th Century.
**acres, roods and poles. 4 roods = 1 acre. 40 (square) poles = 1 rood.
to see what the future holds for Plas Penyddeuglawdd see:
“Glorious Rhyl – a peep at its past” Phillip Lloyd (2002)