Our May meeting consisted of an interesting and informative tour of St. Thomas’ Church by Rhyl History Club stalwart, and bellringer at St Thomas’, Mr. Tony Durcan. One of the highlights of the tour was a visit to the belfry.
The bells were rung for the first time on December 1st, 1879, the same year that St. Thomas’ Bellringers Society was established.
The bells were founded by John Taylor of Loughborough, Leicestershire in 1876. They are a peal of eight bells in the key of F. The Tenor bell weighs 17 cwt (over 863kg), has a diameter of 45.5 inches (1.15 metres) and stands over four foot high (1.2 metres).
photograph above shows Tony demonstrating the skill of bellringing and explaining the theory to Rhyl History Club Chairman, Mr. Rufus Adams.
The belfry currently has eight members, the oldest being 84 years old. They ring the bells on Sunday mornings before the 11am service. The bells are rung for weddings, they have rung out for Christmas and this year they welcomed in the New Year, 2014.
The bells are half muffled when they ring for the dead on Remembrance Sunday.
Many thanks to Tony for the above information.