Rhyl’s famous old landmark seems ever present despite its sad demise in 1973. Old postcards, photographs and history books ensure that its memory remains.
This postcard is a favourite and quite different to most views of the Pavilion. It is dated 1939 and shows two domed “kiosks” at the front, also gates and turnstiles. Does anyone know when these features were removed? Note the commissionaire in the foreground.
The operetta the “Desert Song” is showing – its original Broadway production had taken place on November 30th 1926. The “Desert Song” was also performed at the Pavilion in April 1955 by the Rhyl and District Amateur Operatic Society, the musical director was T. Arthur Williams, it was produced by William Buckett, the male lead was played by Michael Dennis and the female lead by Mair Hayward