The first photograph is the roof of Carmel Chapel, now a Gold and Pawn Shop, in Queen Street. It is difficult to photograph from Queen Street, this photo was taken from Sussex Street near to St. Kentigern Hospice Charity Shop.
The following information is from the Chapels Heritage Society:
“Carmel Independent Chapel of 1851 also has an asymmetrical front, round arched with circles in the tracery and a small tower with concave-pyramid roof. The Rev. Dr. R. Tudor Jones was one of the children of Carmel and he had the sad task of taking the last service at his old church when it closed in 1992.”
The second photograph is part of the old Plaza Cinema building.
The Plaza opened on June 29th 1931 on the site of the old Royal Hotel. The architect was Sidney Colwyn Foulkes. It had 1600 seats, 900 in the stalls and 600 in the circle. It had a 45′ proscenium and was the first in Wales to use Holophane colour lighting in both the hall and foyer area. Cinemascope was fitted in 1955 and seating reduced to 1,505 to provide for new lines of sight.