The Floral Hall was opened on May 14th, 1959 at a cost of £21,000. During the first three years it had been visited by over a million visitors.
During the Winter of 1960-61 a heating system was installed which made it possible to grow a wider range of plants. There was an interesting variety of tropical and foreign birds which enjoyed free flight.
It was visited by the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester on June 8th 1960 and following their visit it was known as the Royal Floral Hall.
It later passed into the hands of a private company and became ‘Butterfly Jungle’. The building was demolished in the early 1990s.