Below is an artist’s impression of the Grange Laundry, 1905. The site is currently occupied by “One Stop” (Tesco).
In 1955 the Laundry celebrated its Golden Jubilee. The Rhyl Journal on January 20th published the following article:
The Grange Laundry, Rhyl celebrated its Golden jubilee on Friday last, January 14th and to mark the occasion the management entertained the staff and their friends to dinner and a visit to the pantomime “Puss in Boots” at the Royal Court Theatre in Liverpool.
After dinner Mr G.S. Hindley addressed the company briefly recalling the days when girls started work at 3/- per week for an eleven hour day, and laundry was collected not only locally but as far afield as Bangor and Llandudno by horse van. He thanked the staff for their hard work and co-operation throughout the years, adding that some had served there for twenty, thirty and forty years.
Mr T. Roberts, foreman, (with 38 years to his credit) responded on behalf of the staff and thanked the management for the pleasure they had given by providing the celebration party.
Grange Laundry Staff, click image to enlarge.
The laundry was founded in 1905 by Mr G.A. Goodwin C.M.G., who came to Rhyl for his sister’s health after a successful career as a mining engineer in the Transvaal Gold Mines in South Africa. He took no part in the conduct of the business, which from its inception until his death in 1946 was in the capable hands of Mr R.B. Worrall who with the help of his wife and her cousin, Miss Nina Godwin, built up the business. After Mr Worrall’s death a Limited company was formed, the directors being Mrs D. Worrall (Chairman), Mr G.S. Hindley (Manager) and Mr J.G. Worrall (Secretary), nephews, who still conduct the business.